>>>>>---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------GRANPA-CHOOK-------<<||\\/\

29 October 2011

The most overused phrase of 2011

I've heard it a thousand times this year. Everyone from pundits and politicians to neighbors and website-comment-section (aka hate gallery) posters: The definition of insanity is doing something over and over again and expecting different results. I hereby claim this phrase beaten-dead, trite, and just-plain-tired. The definition of insanity is not "doing something over and over again and expecting different results," no, that is the definition of lack of creativity - or, perhaps the definition of some levels of "Angry Birds." I submit that the definition of insanity is "the state of being seriously mentally ill" because that is the definition set forth by Oxford, an ancient and alien civilization that left us the inerrant "book of definition" they call a "dictionary" back at the dawn of creation. I guess the whole irony of the over-usage is that people who use this phrase are so often guilty of their own accusation - they keep using this phrase and expecting different results, i.e. that people will actually listen to them. But no, this phrase, that when I first heard it several years ago made me think, "oh, that's cute," now has me blowing acidic chunks of my last meal into the Thomas Crapper. I'm not listening.

No comments: